The Lake Worth Drainage District is governed by a five-member Board of Supervisors whom reside or own property within the boundary of the District. The Supervisors are elected to three-year terms by the District’s landowners. Their terms are staggered to provide that at least one Supervisor is elected at each Annual Landowners’ meeting.
The Annual Landowners’ meeting is held in January on the first Wednesday after the 3rd of the month. Landowners are encouraged to attend and participate.
The election process for the Lake Worth Drainage District is detailed in Chapter 2009-258, Florida Laws.
Responsibilities of Board
- Supervisors are authorized to determine, set and levy a uniform annual acreage assessment upon each acre or fraction thereof on all property within the Lake Worth Drainage District boundary. Assessments are levied to maintain, preserve, repair and restore existing and future District assets.
- Supervisors represent all the landowners within the District’s boundary, not just those within their election sub-district.
Service on the Board
- Supervisors should expect to devote a minimum of eight (8) hours per month to District service.
- Board Supervisors are paid $150.00 of compensation for each day service is performed.
- Supervisors may elect to participate in the Florida Retirement System.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, citizen of the United States of America and a resident of the State of Florida.
- Candidates must be one of the following: own property, be the spouse of a landowner or authorized representative of a legal entity holding title to land within the District boundary at the time of the election.
- Candidates in election sub-districts 3, 4, & 5 must reside in the sub-district he or she is a qualified candidate for at the time of the election. Candidates in election sub-districts 1 and 2 do not have residency restrictions.
- Board of Supervisors positions are non-partisan.
- Candidate must submit an intent to run letter to the District’s Executive Director prior to the close of the December regular Board of Supervisors’ meeting.
- Qualified voters must be at least 18 years of age and hold title to land within the District’s boundary at the time of the election.
- Qualified voters cast one (1) vote for each acre or portion thereof of property owned within the District’s boundary.
- Qualified voters cast votes for candidates regardless of election sub-districts.
- Votes may be cast by ballot or submitted by proxy at the Annual Landowners’ meeting.
- A proxy is valid for no more than 120 days prior to the election. Proxy forms are available at the District office.
- The candidate with the most number of votes will be declared and elected as Supervisor.
- Election Sub-District No. 1 is generally located south side of Okeechobee Blvd. and north of LWDD S-10s and L-28 canals, between FL Turnpike and SR-7.
- Election Sub-District No. 2 is generally located south of LWDD S-10s and L-28 canals and north of the Hillsboro canal, between FL Turnpike and SR-7.
- Election Sub-District No. 3 is generally located south of Okeechobee Blvd. and north of Lantana Road, between FL Turnpike and I-95.
- Election Sub-District No. 4 is generally located south of Lantana Road and north of Delray West Road (W. Atlantic Ave.), between FL Turnpike and I-95.
- Election Sub-District No. 5 is generally located south of Delray West Road (W. Atlantic Ave.) and north of Hillsboro canal, between FL Turnpike and I-95.